Sunday, June 27, 2010

Final Course Reflection

I came into this course eight weeks ago with a completely different view of not only how people learn, but also my own learning process. I said in week one that I am a visual and kinesthetic learner, but by week seven I posted on my blog that I am a learner that benefits from most learning styles. It has really opened my eyes to the different ways that I can motivate my students in my classroom and how I can better learn myself. If I take the knowledge I have gained throughout this course and apply it to both situations, then learning should definitely improve for both my students and myself. There has been much knowledge gained in this course, and I will most definitely use it as I continue to grow in my educational field.
The thing that I found the most striking as I explored the many different ways that people learn was the concept that one person can benefit from a multitude of different theories and learning styles. I was under the impression before now that a person learns best in one particular way or another but not in a variety of ways. In order to be a more effective teacher, I must understand these different styles and apply them to the best of my ability into my classroom lessons. “A teacher well versed in the various theories of learning, with a thorough knowledge of his or her students and a high level of competence in using and applying a range of educational technologies, will create appropriate learning environments” (Semple, 2000). Applying Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences and teaching with social learning theory, cognitive theory, etc. will improve the way that my students process the information that I am presenting and hopefully help to better commit it to long-term memory.
There is definitely a connection between learning theories, learning styles, educational technology, and motivation. An understanding of all of these will result in the best possible success for students in the classroom whether traditional or online. If an educator in well-versed in learning styles such as visual or auditory learning and theories such as multiple intelligences or cognitive theory, for example, then he/she can create a learning environment using these methods along with educational technology to best motivate students to learn. “Educators can manage learning environments to stimulate and sustain motivation, even though they cannot control it” (Keller, 1999). As an educator, I can set up online learning in a way that speaks to the many learning styles and theories but also motivates students to learn by evaluating motivation, using methods such as ARCS.
My motivation for taking this course was to give me the skills and knowledge to teach a computer elective class at the middle school where I presently teach 6th grade. The knowledge I have gained throughout this course on the importance of teaching to different learning styles through the use of educational technology will make me a more effective teacher of this subject. I will be able to motivate my students to learn in a variety of ways and will be able to constantly evaluate motivational levels and adapt to the changing needs of my students. It has been a great class, and I look forward to applying many of these principles in the upcoming school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment